How to Dispose of a Dirty Air Filter
While your home's air quality benefits from your diligent efforts to change your air filters monthly, you might be asking how to dispose of the dirty filters without making a mess with the dust and dirt. Proper disposal of the old filter is essential to prevent all the collected debris from becoming airborne once again. Remember that an old filter has 30 to 90 days of trapped material in it, so many irritants, allergens and other particles can easily become airborne again.
To properly dispose of a used air filter:
- Have a plastic bag on hand and turn off the unit before you begin.
- Start by carefully removing the used air filter from the HVAC unit and placing it gently into the bag without shaking to prevent it from releasing the dust and particles into the air.
- Tie or tape the bag shut immediately.
- Carry the plastic bag with the furnace filter immediately to your outside trash can and put it inside.
This will ensure it is disposed of in a timely manner.
Put the new air filter in the HVAC unit and turn it back on.
Want to know more? Can I recycle a dirty air filter?
- Need to Replace Your Air Filter? -
Pleated Air Filters
The largest selection of standard and custom size filters for your AC or Furnace, shipped directly to your home. Same quality, same filter, half the price of store-bought brands.
Deep Pleat Filters
Replacement 4, 5 and 6 inch air filters for all major brands, including Air Bear, Carrier, Honeywell and more.